Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mascots and the Holidaze

Something always gets me excited when the holidays roll around. Back in 1980 I started on this crazy mascot journey as "Super Smurf" and "Azrael the Cat" from the Smurfs cartoon series for Boscov's Department Store of Wilkes-Barre, Pa. My first job was to play a part in a "Breakfast with Santa" skit, where Gargamel and Azrael stole Santa from the kids' party, but Super Smurf swept in to save the day.

Later each weekend night "Super Smurf" and Santa Claus flew across Main Street to Boscov's front door, chasing away mean ol' Gargamel and Azrael and saving Christmas for the Wilkes-Barre kids. And then after Christmas for a week I got to stroll around the department store, well-wishing the shoppers who were returning gifts, and enjoying my first paying job... as a ten-year-old!

Anyway, maybe that's where all the mascotty-Christmas stuff came about. Even in high school I was sewing up a Santa hat for my Comet mascot costume. I bought a cheap Santa suit in my freshman year at Kutztown and was disappointed with the quality of the trim, so I bought extra fur and re-sewed the white to be fluffy and bright!

Since then I've had the pleasure - and it is a pleasure - of making a number of mascot Santa suits for different characters. Enjoy the pictures, and if you want some prices or advices let me know!

No comments: