Sunday, November 25, 2007

April 2005 Mascot Spotlight - Monte, U Montana


Mascot of the Month -
Monte, the University of Montana Grizzly

MascotNet brings you a featured mascot each month, providing new insights to improve your program. This month we are honored to bring you Barry Anderson, recipient of the Capital One Bowl's first "Mascot of the Year" award.
What is impressive to note about Barry's collegiate career is that his program was literally built up from nothing when he started.
After graduating from the U of M, Barry now enjoys his first season as a professional sports mascot in one of the "big four leagues".

What first made you interested in performing as Monte? There was an ad in the school paper, I just wanted to see who was trying out. When I got there I thought... "hey, I can do that" So I gave it a shot. Still waiting to find out if I made it or not.

How was the mascot program set up when you first started? Kinda loose. No expectations or set times during games to perform. I think very similar to most schools.

What skills did you have when you first started out that you found to be helpful in entertaining the crowds? Well, the dancing seems to be what people get all worked up over, but the real asset was the clowning class I took as a theater major in college. Best class I ever took.

What kinds of resources did you find (pro mascots, UM's administration, video boards, working with entertainment, other teams/coaches, performance skill training, business classes, etc.) that were helpful in developing the program, as well as yourself? Whoa, big question. Hints from the pros came later on after I was looking seriously into the job as a career. The video board was great during football games. I was lucky enough to be there when it was first being installed so I got to get my feet wet with everyone else when it came to video directing and writing. No one else really wanted to handle that stuff so I said I would love to. I think communicating to the administration my intentions of taking ownership of the character and his image (not just getting in the costume and acting like a fool) let them give me a little more slack on the leash.

You had the opportunity to be a part of a few national championships for mascot as well as varsity sports. What things did you learn on the road about other mascot programs that were integrated during your tenure as Monte? I learned that A. your struggles are the same at every school so you are not alone in the frustration of no budget and crappy costume. And B. there are lots of little details that can make life a lot easier in the suit. I recommend beginning to network with other guys in the NCAA to share skits and costume alteration ideas.

What was one thing another mascot program does you'd never want Monte to have to do? Be the mascot for Montana State.

As you looked to your pro career how did you market yourself to the teams you applied for? Your first and most important tool is your highlight tape. Take your time and do it right. Doesn't have to be fancy, just good music and great footage. Become friends with the T.V. guys taping the games. They can be your best friend...

What is the biggest piece of advice you can give an aspiring mascot? Take care of your body. You don't just take your car in when something breaks, you regularly get the oil changed, the belts, keep it clean, rotate tires... your body is the same way. Preventative maintenance is key.

What is the biggest piece of adcive NOT TO DO that you can give? Don't skip steps before you earn your stripes. Let the fans and administration get to know your "personality" before firing on all cylinders. Don't rush the process. Give respect before expecting respect.

Ten years from now, where do you want to be? With the same NBA team I'm with right now. But maybe on vacation in Tahiti.

Anything else you would like to add? Be on time, prepared and organized for every game, every meeting and every practice. Your reputation is bigger than you are. Don't give people a reason to make yours an unprofessional one.

No comments: